A Message from Your H.S.A. President
Happy summer! Welcome to any new St. Margaret School Families – we are happy to have you in our community! I hope everyone is enjoying a well-deserved summer vacation. Soon, if you haven’t already, we all will be preparing our uniforms, backpacks, and pantries in anticipation of the first day of school. I know my son is looking forward to reuniting with his classmates for another adventurous year.
I would like to take a moment and introduce myself to you, the St. Margaret School Community. My name is Judith Kopp and my husband, Shane, and I have been married for 21 years. We joined the SMS community last year and relished in the warm welcome extended by all of the faculty, staff, and families. My son, Joshua, is entering 7th grade. I also have a daughter, Alyssa, who will be entering her freshman year at John Carroll. I have been involved in parent associations since my children were in Pre- School at Celebree Learning Centers. Most recently, I have been the HSA treasurer at my daughter’s Catholic grade school for the past 6 years while also chairing and supporting many of the school fundraisers. As for my “day” job, I currently work for Northrop Grumman and have worked for other large defense and aerospace corporations over the past 19 years in multiple financial areas ranging from cost estimating to the Director of Finance for a Defense Market Segment. I look forward to bringing many ideas and energy to the SMS HSA team to assist in maintaining and growing our school community’s spirit!
I am proud to be serving the SMS community with the wonderful parents listed below. Please know that all of us are fully committed to assisting you in any way we can. Feel free to reach out to any one of us with any questions, concerns, or suggestions you may have. Our contact information will be posted on the SMS website. We may not be able to address every topic, but we will do everything we can to pass along the items we cannot directly impact. The 2018-2019 HSA Executive committee members are:
President: Judith Kopp
Vice President: Doug Meyer
Treasurer: Valerie Provenza
Recording Secretary: Andrea Richie
Corresponding Secretary: Jennifer Andrews
Delegates: Colleen Grayson, Robyn Wiegert, Dana Calvin, Julia Bacso
While all of us have been enjoying our summer vacation, many of your Home School Administration (HSA) parent volunteers have continued planning exciting parent and family activities for the 2018-2019 school year. Please mark your calendars and join us for some of the near-term events! For your planning purposes, here are the first half of the year’s major events:
• The Fall Festival (Chairperson: Jen Stuart) - September 21st and 22nd at SMS Elementary School Campus
• Trunk or Treat (Chairpersons: Christine Holtzman/Deanna Townsley) - October 20th at SMS Middle School Campus
• Bull Roast (Chairperson: Judith Kopp) - November 17th at SMS Elementary School Gym
As with any volunteer organization, we can never have enough help! A small amount of your time can lighten the load for our chair people and other volunteers. Please remember our volunteers must be in compliance with the Archdiocese of Baltimore's Child and Youth Protection Policy and register with the Virtus program, complete the requirements and training. Mrs. Brenda Bell, screening coordinator, can be contacted for assistance, after August 27.
This month, I would like to ask you to prayerfully consider volunteering for our Fall Festival. This event is the largest fundraiser for our school and a wonderful event for the community. I attended for the first time last year and was overwhelmed by the amount of people in attendance, the smoothness of which the event ran, the laughs of children of every age group, and the warm, welcoming atmosphere which surrounded the weekend. There were also many non-SMS families in attendance – I was able to catch up with many people I haven’t seen since high school! Due to the volume of activities at this event, we do ask EACH family to work at least a 2 hour shift per child to ensure we have coverage for all of the booths. Unfortunately, if we do not have coverage, the booth is shut down thus making our children sad and lowering our profits. During the first week of school, each family will receive an email from Sign-Up Genius asking you to volunteer. But, you don’t have to wait for the sign-up genius to arrive in your inbox; please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com if you would like to help! Here’s a preview of the times and support we will need covered:
• Committee Volunteers (this isn’t as scary as it sounds!) - Join Jen and her team in preparing for the weekend. This activity is occurring now until the festival.
• Silent Auction Volunteers – Pick up donations, wrap and prepare baskets in advance of the event (usually 1-2 weeks prior).
• Church Raffle Ticket Sales – Sell Crab Feast Raffle Tickets before and after each mass on Saturday and Sunday on September 7th, 8th, 14th, and 15th.
• Set-Up – Set-up occurs in the afternoon and evening of Thursday, September 20th.
• Decorators – Come to the ES gym and assist with Set-up and decorations on the morning of Friday, September 21st.
• Event Volunteers (Critical to ensuring the fun and success of the event!) – Spend some time spinning a wheel at a booth, handing out silent auction bid numbers, selling delicious baked goods, calling out Bingo numbers, etc.
o Friday, September 21st – 4pm-10pm
o Saturday, September 22nd – Noon – 10pm
• Sunday Sales – Assist in selling the remaining flowers, pumpkins and baked goods after all Masses - Sunday September 23rd.
• Break Down and Clean Up – Exactly as it sounds! Return the school and parish grounds to their normal state – Sunday, September 23rd from 8am – 2pm
One other important note in regards to the Fall Festival – we are in search of a family or group of friends/families to take over the tradition of running this wonderful event. Jen and her team have done an amazing job for many years; they have the processes in place to make the next chairperson very successful. Please consider this important position. If you have any questions or thoughts or are even slightly considering this position, please feel free to contact Jen Stuart at firstname.lastname@example.org or myself at email@example.com. We would love to have you shadow this year’s team as it’s always easier to see how things are done behind the scenes!
I’m very excited for this year! Please watch for messages from me and the team in regards to upcoming activities and meetings. Please remember that not everything we do or communicate is centered on fundraising. We will be adding some social events to the calendar to help everyone get to know each other better. Always keep your eye on the school calendar for upcoming events.
Happy Last Days of Summer,
J u d i t h