History & Tradition
About Saint Margaret School
Saint Margaret School (SMS), the oldest parochial school still in operation in Harford County, opened May 1, 1911, six years after Fr. Alphonsus Frederick founded Saint Margaret Church. From that first day of school, when 43 pupils were enrolled and guided by two Catholic School Sisters of Notre Dame, through the current school year, Saint Margaret has been providing a quality Catholic education to students throughout the Harford County area.
Saint Margaret School provides a Catholic education based upon the belief that each child is a unique creation of God. The school’s main responsibility is to instill in each child an understanding and appreciation of the values and ideals of the Catholic faith.
The facilities include:
- ES campus PK - Gr 5
- MS campus Gr 6 - 8
Both campuses include: Gym, Health suites, Counselor offices, Library/Media Centers, Resource rooms
- Early Childhood Center
- Middle School Educational Center
Two places of worship: Saint Margaret Church and The Callahan Center
Statement of Beliefs
- We believe that it is our responsibility to assist parents in educating their children in the teachings of the Catholic Church and to show positive examples of living our Catholic values.
- We believe that the Eucharist and prayer are essential to Catholic Christian formation.
- We believe in providing students with opportunities to participate in local, regional and global outreach.
- We believe that parental involvement is essential in promoting learning and the development of the whole child.
- We believe that education is a cooperative effort of parents, students, educators and the community.
- We believe that every child has the potential to learn, achieve, and succeed.
- We believe that every individual is unique and deserves to be treated with dignity and respect in a safe and nurturing environment.
- We believe that positive relationships and mutual respect among and between students, staff, parents and community can enhance students’ self worth.
- We believe in providing an environment in which our students develop character, respect and responsibility for themselves and for others.
- We believe in providing an environment in which each student is encouraged to develop and share his/her talents, skills and abilities.
- We believe that our students deserve educators who are caring, knowledgeable and committed to lifelong learning and professional growth.